Look at All the Money I Saved!
Posted by: Karen Kleckner Keefe
You had a good run old-fashioned Thanksgiving. I enjoyed the day off work and large platters of carbohydrates. If you look at the headlines from the past week, though, it looks like the traditions of family, food and football have been replaced by doorbusters, deals and discounts. If you’d rather read about retail than join the purchasing throngs, explore the science of shopping and the challenges of living in a hyper-consumerized world.
- The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More by Chris Anderson
- A Year Without ‘Made in China’: One Family’s True Life Adventure in the Global Economy by Sara Bongiorni
- Nickel and Dimed: On (not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich
- Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping by Judith Levine
- Buyology: The New Science of Why We Buy by Martin Lindstrom
- Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture by Ellen Ruppel Shell
- Deluxe: How Luxury Lost its Luster by Dana Thomas
- The Call of the Mall: The Geography of Shopping and Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill